Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Yesterday...

The irony. Being in Shi'ar space brings back old memories. Many don't know it, but when I first met the X-Men, and joined their ranks, I was simply Lorna Dane; the name Polaris didn't come until many years later; it is from Shi'ar origin. Alex and I were living in Rio Diablo, New Mexico when I was suddenly attacked by Eric the Red.


He was a Shi'ar agent sent to Earth by the mad emperor D'Ken. He washed my brain, gave me a new costume and named me Polaris, Mistress of Magnetism. Under his mental control I attacked my loved Alex, my dear friend Jean, and battled Storm.


I had recently discovered I could use my powers in ways I never thought possible, and while under the influence of Eric the Red I used them to lash out at the X-Men.


Thankfully, Storm was able to stop me. I can still remember the pain her lightning bolts produced, but at the same time on the inside, I was relieved that she defeated me; otherwise I would have killed her. After that, Eric the Red took Havok and I with him, and even though his influence over us eventually wore off; the physical and emotional damage we caused...

I wonder what prompted Eric to give me the name Polaris... what is the story behind it? I think of Jean and her possession by the Phoenix... I hope it never comes to that.



For more on the first appearance of Lorna as Polaris, her fateful encounter with Eric the Red, the debut of her Shi'ar costume, and her battle with Storm, check out Uncanny X-Men #97

No comments:

Post a Comment